A Poem Begins As A Lump In The Throat






I think it was Robert Frost who said, “A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness.” And then I would like to believe that after awhile it transforms, changes, molds you, together with the words, until there is nothing left but your hands, holding “emptiness, wholeness; a cave, a cathedral.” (B.H. Fairchild)

Yes!  my heart is driving along the roads of poetry
Not because of insane love or lovesickness
It consoles the depths of my soul
Finds me and makes me a little whole
It’s keeping my mute brain alive
Am learning to thrive
Despite the aches and strive
My soul is damningly religiously dancing with fire

Crafting simple words lets the pouring down my spirit demands
The illusion of my future 
Doesn’t seem so hard

Its beauty expresses my strangest emotions
And let’s me believe Frank O’Hara 
Is cajoling me to Have a coke with him (link poem here.)
And mesmerized with power 
As Alicia keys warns me to fear poets (link poem here)

Did you know Arcihbald defined poetry with a poem
 He said,

"A poem should be palpable and mute
As a globed fruit...

A poem should be wordless
As flight of birds...

A peom should not be mean
But be."

Poetry refines, defines, edifies and never confines
It breathes, relieves, and adds a little belief

Yes am dancing in poetry's fire
Hoping you can see my desire
For poetic life. 


Hi everyone, am exploring poetry, it is suddenly fascinating me. Will start the Haiku challenge soon. Feel free to leave your comments: Good, Bad, Okay, Excellent or...?

Comments

  1. The blog title drew me in. The blog made me smile and the words of the blog spoke some of feelings about what writing/blogging should be: refine, define, edify but never, ever confine! Happy New Year Shally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol..interesting insight. Happy New Year to you too. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loneliness is a warm bed

Book signing of The Dairy of a Desperate Naija Woman (DNW)

Stand...