Book signing of The Dairy of a Desperate Naija Woman (DNW)

By Shally A.
Me, Bola, and my beautiful mentor Mrs Enahoro :)

It’s a known fact that Nigerians don’t read, but as I saw numerous people trooping in and out of Laterna Bookstore for the book-signing of Bola Essien-Nelson book, I was a little tempted to ‘yimu’ and say ‘oyinbo statistics.’

As this is the second book-signing event I have attended, I didn’t really know what to expect but like the Good Book says, my expectation was not cut off (forget I said didn’t have an expectation o!).


At the book-stand, I scrutinized all her books wella. Indecisive Shally was wondering which one to buy. I was attracted to the colourful cover-page of her latest DNW book. It had a distinctive Nigerian touch. A middle-aged woman sat on the floor with a hint of sarcasm glittering in her eyes, her gele was almost reaching the stars and her dress was made from patches of different Ankara fabrics. Nice tableau, I thought.

I checked out the second volume of DNW, it was definitely the bulkiest of the three volumes. Honestly, I didn’t bother to scrutinize the first volume, as a sharp Naija babe (and a book-lover of course) I decided to choose the second volume (the bigger, the better).

Smiling, I handed the book over to Bola for her signature...




After famzing and taking every possible hope-to-be-a-celeb picture, I met interesting authors and bloggers like @tilola, exchanged ideas, talked about writing challenges and definitely got intoxicated with inspiration.

I also checked out the bookstore (mehn! They have books o!), before heading home with all my freebies.

Getting home late after all the Lagos hustle didn’t deter me from reading the book. To be honest, I was curious to know why ‘the multitude’ came for the book signing, so I began flipping through the book.

What caught my interest was the simple way Bola expressed herself by connecting her everyday experiences to various topics and issues. Her words show deep thought; shines a certain light into your world and make you realize you are not alone in the hustle of life.

For example, in a short article titled, ‘I have become her mother,’ Bola described how responsibility, children and age made her wiser, so much wiser she began to speak like her mother.

“You are different,” she (Bola’s mum) would say. I cannot tell how many times I would hear this statement in different ways of course but the same meaning. And it drove my 13 years-old mind up the proverbial wall. But now, three decades later, I get it. She was right. I am different because I am a woman, a wife, and a mother. I am a nurturer. She was trying, as best as she could to prepare me for the woman that was still inside of me.



This book completely explores the mind of ‘Naija’ woman trying her best to walk with and for God, build her home and make sense of her life.

I had a fabulous book-signing day. And maybe, just maybe it was the small chops, drinks, free book, and Bola propelling me to ‘just do it’ that made me ecstatic, I don’t know. And yes! I used the opportunity to buy all the books in Laterna too (like I can carry all of them home).

I am presently so excited to explore this book and you are invited to join the expedition.


Comments

  1. The book signing was really fun to attend. Thanks for the mention

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just lovely Shally! Thank you so much for making me laugh cos today did not start out right for me but God has used you and one other person to make my heart smile. Blessings on you, Glory to Him.

    Yes, I truly hope you are 'doing it' o!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Am so so glad that I could make you laugh and I kneel to receive all the blessings. Thank you. Yes am doing it, you inspired me...

      Delete
  3. Please can I read when you are done? Nice write-up! Keep your pens blazing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...no you can't! Keeping it close to my chest. Go get ur copy. #tongue out#... Thank you.

      Delete
  4. It might sound like asking for too much but there
    is a great way to grab your readers attention and hence increase your twitter community.

    This practice is known as meta tag optimization is still useful, it's important to understand a bit about Google and links.

    Here is my blog post: seo work

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loneliness is a warm bed

Stand...