Children's Day in 2000 and...


My childhood memories are filled with stories of my mothers.

We drove to Mummy Taiwos’s office, my mum’s Twin, from Corona School every weekday around 4:00 pm and waited for her to close from work. As my brother and I walked into her gigantic office building, ICON, we were welcomed with tender smiles. We took a lift to her office and her hallway was filled with colleagues who seemed excited to dote on us. They gave us sweets and asked us the same (always the same) questions about school. And I always had the same answers, ‘fine, ma/sir.’

Mum Tee, had a medium-sized office with a table and chairs we moved around so we could hide under her desk. My brother and I will play games and sometimes talked while we waited for her. We tried to not be too loud because mum seemed ‘serious.’

Sometimes, I would stand up to look into her eyes and smile. She made me proud. She was always stylishly dressed. Her blood-red lipstick contrasted with her extremely light-skinned face and her curly black hair. Her suits had puffy shoulder pads and were loosely dangling around her body in a classy way.  She seemed keen on solving a problem, making phone calls, and taking notes. I loved coming to see her here. She was different, she was not just ‘mum’ as we knew her, but a respected ‘boss.’

While my brother and I rotated between Mummy Taiwo and my mum's office, and Mummy Kehinde’s office after school, it was ICON I remember the most. Maybe it was the iconic high-rise building or just the warmness and pride I felt. But I dance around this memory a lot. It was where I got the vision of what I wanted to be career-wise. It was my first understanding of what it meant to work. 

My other memories were in High School, Doregos. Our assembly ground was also our visiting day open hall. My mum, Mummy Kehinde, never missed a Visiting Day, Valentine’s Day, Open Day, and Parents’ Teacher's Conference. She was always there to make sure I was doing alright in boarding school.


The memories that stick out are Valentine’s Days when she would bring me a cake, a surprise launch, and a card. I think she silently understood I struggled a lot after my Dad’s passing and wanted to do everything to show I was loved. She always told me, ‘your Dad was a lover’ and I believe she wanted me to feel an extra abundance of love since I never really knew him. And she did, till today, she and Mummy Taiwo go out of their way to be there for me.

While our relationship can sometimes be complicated (sigh, parents can be annoying abeg), I look at my mums, and think of their individual stories, wars, and fights; and know they did the best they could as a mother, father, government (we don't have a government), teacher and friend.

They created an environment where my cousins and I had so many fun memories. I have so amazing memories of my cousins living with us, eating at the dinner table with us, watching movies and laughing, washing plates with my sister Bolaji, and singing. Having big, enormous birthday parties. And a green dress I never wanted to take off!


I also listened to all my cousin's teenage albums. My 2000s were filled with listening to Craig David’s album, Born To Do It; Justin Timberlake’s album, Justified (Justin and I Cried a River togeda!), and Mariah Carey’s non-stop! I can sing all the songs (almost word-for-word) in Born To Do It!!!! I’m having chills writing this. I must thank Craig David for being a good friend when I meet him (LMAO). 



And my cousin’s boyfriends! I remember them well. I was wondering why my cousins liked light-skinned men! These men tried to bribe me with sweets and gifts I willingly took!

Since we are all in the children’s day spirit, I can’t help but reminisce about how amazing my childhood was. And I want to celebrate parents who gave their best to make our childhoods worthwhile. Growing older, you will realize it takes an enormous amount of sacrifice!

I hope my children have profound memories of joy, friendship, cousins and laughter!

Love,

Shally

  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loneliness is a warm bed

Book signing of The Dairy of a Desperate Naija Woman (DNW)

Stand...