ALLOW ME TO VENT


As I walk down the street away from the voting center, am perplexed, angry and disgusted. When will I live with absolute believe in my country? When will I go to the office without getting dirty due to the dust on the street? When will green, white, green mean life, purity and plenty food. 

I see their eyes every morning, the stains of neglect, betrayal, confusion. The stressful lines that depict that they haven't had a good night, NEPA obviously has failed and the next meal is a mystery. I see the boy that came from Anambra saying ‘Aunty Aunty I am from secondary school Nnawfia and I walk away wondering if he wants to steal my purse or jazz me. Later I realized that I had known him or he had known me. I thought to myself OMG!! why didn’t I take a second look (secondary school Nnwafia was where I taught English Language two years ago during my NYSC). The depressing thoughts came: What was he doing in Lagos?  Did he come for greener pastures? He didn’t look any greener to me; in fact, he looked like he needed water to blossom. I had even mistaken him for an ‘agbero’. Huh!  na wa. He is probably one of those living on less than a dollar a day.

My thoughts run wild these days, maybe I am getting older and I see more, the pain, suffering, anger, the death. We have to value the most valuable thing which is human life. Our leaders during this unruly campaign have killed more than 50 people according to international statistics. Ki lo de, it must really be a ‘do or die affair’ (OBJ).  I just don’t want to be mediocre, looked upon like shit because can’t get simple things like voting on Election Day. Nigeria is smarter than this, Nigeria is better than this.

We have the talent, wisdom, zeal and greatness that life tries to squeeze out or the Nigerian factor tries to make a fool of.

Seriously the 5W’s and H I was taught in university comes to play. Where are we going? Who is leading us? What future do we see? Why are we still here? When are we going to stand up for change and how are we getting to our desired destination?


Comments

  1. Oh Salewa, you just dissed the one who called you 'copa'. I don't blame you though. We all have to do something about this country, starting with giving birth to it. You wanna know what I want to do? I want to help Nigeria get rid of her addiction to crude oil. Don't ask me how!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loneliness is a warm bed

Book signing of The Dairy of a Desperate Naija Woman (DNW)

Stand...